Monday, May 25, 2009

Anti-Skid Socks & new PJ's

I spent some time last week working on new things for my daughter.

First she needed some new Pj's for summer and I could not find any I liked. So I made them myself. 3 new pairs of Pj's which she loves :)



Next - she has had a growth spurt and outgrown most of her "little girl" socks. I looked all over to find bigger anti-skid socks for her but could only find them in small sizes.
I decided to try making my own "grippy socks". I read somewhere that it was possible to do it with fabric paint. I tried it and am sharing the results. I hope that many of you can make good use of the very easy instructions.
Materials needed:
Fabric paint (I used the clear dimensional kind that kinda sticks up)
(I got a tube on sale for $1 - I have made 35 pairs of socks so far and have not used the whole tube up - this is WAY less expensive than buying pre-made "grippy socks")
Socks (pre washed)
Directions:
Fold the socks so that the entire bottom is facing up.
Paint or Dab little dots of paint over the bottom of the socks. I tried several different patterns (squiggles, dots, straight lines) and the dots seemed to work the best. I made my dots in lines but you could use any design or pattern you like. You can make the dots bigger or flatter depending on your preference as well.
FYI the dots did not "lift off" after washing several times but the straight lines & squiggles did.
Allow paint to dry according to package directions.

Enjoy!!
They are not quite the same as store bought ones but they have definitely kept my daughter from sliding all over the tile & lino.
She thinks that they are fabulous because now she can wear some of her favourite socks during the day to run around, instead of only wearing them to bed at night.
I made 25 pairs of her non-"grippy socks" into "grippy socks" this weekend. I ran out of room on the table so there are only 20 pairs shown in the picture.
Leave me a comment and let me know how it works out for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment